Division Wide Poverty Intervention Special Project: WAM (Weekends and More) Bags
- Partnership between Poverty Intervention Committee, Making Connections and Wilson Middle School Grade 8 Leadership class.
- Twelve bags every two weeks, accessible across the Division for families in need.
- Each bag contains a recipe, all non-perishable food items to make the recipe included in the bag plus pantry staples. A $25 gift card to Loblaws is included in each bag to complete the recipe with perishable items. Each bag contains $25 of non-perishable food items in addition to the $25 gift card for perishable items.
- With the additional support of donations from Community Outreach School (COS) and Save On Foods, the Grade 8 Leadership Class at Wilson assist in every aspect of assembling bags. They select the recipes, participate in grocery shopping online, assemble the bags and select pantry staples/snacks to round out the bags for families.
- The WAM project started in the fall of 2017 as a pilot.
- As of today, over 650 WAM Bags have gone out to families in need since its conception.
- This is the third year that WAM has been running through Lethbridge School Division.
- It is completely funded through community donations given to Lethbridge School Division for Poverty Intervention.